11 September 2008

A little about me

Born and raised in Texas, I have always loved the outdoors. There's just something about walking under the open sky with not a sign of civilization in sight that sets the mind at ease. It allows you to think and unwind. I think it started when I was a young boy. I stayed with my grandparents while my mom worked. We would spend most of the time on the road going from campground to campground all over the state. Although it was in a camper, and not under the stars, I spent most of that time exploring. I was hardly ever at the trailer, instead I was wandering through the trees or swimming in the lakes and streams. I also spent countless hours on the piers standing next to my grandfather with pole in hand. Rarely did we catch dinner, in fact I remember more weeds, and even an old thermos, on my line than fish. It was that time spent that mattered though, not the end result. I have tried many hobbies in the outdoors, and I can't say there was one that I did not enjoy. I also find myself extremely lucky to have ended up with a wife who enjoys everything about nature that I do.

Archery is my latest endeavor, although this is not the first time that I have tried it. When I was a young teenager I would spend time in the Texas hill country with my cousin hunting. One trip he had borrowed his neighbors bow and we decided to give it a shot. In hindsight, seeing that the bow had a 29" draw length and was 60lb draw, maybe it wasn't the best idea. Did I mention that his neighbor was 28 and well built?!? Anyway, we went out for the day with hopes of spotting some hogs. We finally did spot a group around mid day. Needless to say, the bow was a bit much for us to handle, and all we succeeded in doing was making the pigs angry. Those pigs may be small, but when they get in a group, they won't hesitate to tree you like a scared raccoon. Thus ended my first, and very brief, stint with archery.

Today, I enjoy shooting with my wife and 3 kids. Although new to the sport, I see it as something that I will continue to enjoy for many years to come. I can only hope that my kids continue to enjoy it as well. I look forward to the day that they can pull enough weight to truly go out and hunt with them. In the meantime, the hours spent at the range are a great outing. Watching them learn and improve is a great joy for any parent.

No comments: